What does POTS mean in Physiology?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand POTS in the Medical field in general and in the Physiology terminology in particular.
Find a translation for POTS in other languages:
Select another language:
What does POTS mean?
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome is a condition of dysautonomia, to be more specific orthostatic intolerance, in which a change from the supine position to an upright position causes an abnormally large increase in heart rate, called tachycardia. Several studies show a decrease in cerebral blood flow with systolic and diastolic cerebral blood flow velocity decreased 44% and 60%, respectively. People with POTS have problems maintaining homeostasis when changing position, i.e. moving from one chair to another or reaching above their heads. Many also experience symptoms when stationary or even while lying down. Symptoms present in various degrees of severity depending on the individual. POTS can be severely debilitating. Some afflicted individuals are unable to attend school or work and for especially severe cases, they are completely incapacitated. This calls for reasonable 'adjustments' to be made by schools in line with Disability Educational Standards, to include the students in activities in which he or she has challenges in participating. An example of an adjustment may include- distance learning and other helpful arrangements.
Discuss this POTS abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
POTS also stands for:
- Parents Over The Shoulder
- Part of the Solution
- Parting on the Square
- Perception of Teasing Scale
- Peripheral Online Technical Standards
... and 10 more »