What does BIOS mean in Ocean Science?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand BIOS in the Academic & Science field in general and in the Ocean Science terminology in particular.
Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences
Founded in 1903 as the Bermuda Biological Station
Find a translation for BIOS in other languages:
Select another language:
What does BIOS mean?
- In IBM PC compatible computers, the Basic Input/Output System, also known as the system BIOS or ROM BIOS, is a de facto standard defining a firmware interface. The name originated from the Basic Input Output System used in the CP/M operating system in 1975. The BIOS software is built into the PC, and is the first software run by a PC when powered on. The fundamental purposes of the BIOS are to initialize and test the system hardware components, and to load an operating system or other programs from a mass memory device. The BIOS provides a consistent way for application programs and operating systems to interact with the keyboard, display, and other input/output devices. Variations in the system hardware are hidden by the BIOS from programs that use BIOS services instead of directly accessing the hardware. The BIOS of the original IBM PC/XT had no interactive user interface. Error messages were displayed on the screen, or coded series of sounds were generated to signal errors. Options on the PC and XT were set by switches and jumpers on the main board and on peripheral cards. Modern Wintel-compatible computers provide a setup routine, accessed at system power-up by a particular key sequence. The user can configure hardware options using the keyboard and video display.
Discuss this BIOS abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
BIOS also stands for:
- Basic Input Output Systems
- Basic Input-Output System
- Basic Input/ Output System
- Basic Input/Output System
- Before Initiation Of Operating System
... and 10 more »