What does APD mean in British Medicine?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand APD in the Medical field in general and in the British Medicine terminology in particular.
Find a translation for APD in other languages:
Select another language:
What does APD mean?
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder, also known as anxious personality disorder, is a Cluster C personality disorder recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders handbook as afflicting a person when they display a pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, extreme sensitivity to negative evaluation, and avoidance of social interaction. Individuals afflicted with the disorder tend to describe themselves as ill at ease, anxious, lonely, and generally feel unwanted and isolated from others. People with avoidant personality disorder often consider themselves to be socially inept or personally unappealing and avoid social interaction for fear of being ridiculed, humiliated, rejected, or disliked. Avoidant personality disorder is usually first noticed in early adulthood. Childhood emotional neglect and peer group rejection are both associated with an increased risk for the development of AvPD. There is controversy as to whether avoidant personality disorder is a distinct disorder from generalized social phobia and it is contended by some that they are merely different conceptualisations of the same disorder, where avoidant personality disorder may represent the more severe form. This is argued because generalized social phobia and avoidant personality disorder have similar diagnostic criteria and may share a similar causation, subjective experience, course, treatment, and identical underlying personality features, such as shyness.
Discuss this APD abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
APD also stands for:
- accessory pancreatic duct
- Accredited Practising Dietitian
- Acid Peptic Disease
- acquired perforating dermatosis
- Action Potential Duration
... and 59 more »