NIE is an abbreviation for:
Find a translation for NIE in other languages:
Select another language:
What does NIE mean?
- NIE, short for Niepodległość, "NIE" means also "NO" in Polish - was a Polish anticommunist resistance organisation formed in 1943. Its main goal was the struggle against the Soviet Union after 1944. NIE was one of the best hidden structures of Armia Krajowa, active until 7 May, 1945. Its commanders were Generals Leopold Okulicki and Emil August Fieldorf. One of the first members of the organisation was Witold Pilecki. Origins of the organization date back to the second half of 1943, when on September 27, the Polish government-in-exile stated that conspirational activities should be maintained during the possible Soviet occupation of the country. Organization, statutes and structure of NIE was created by high-ranking officers of the Home Army, and among those involved were General Tadeusz Komorowski, and Polish Commander in Chief, General Kazimierz Sosnkowski. Members of NIE were carefully selected, and ordered to break their ties with soldiers of the Home Army. In May 1944, General Leopold Okulicki was named commander of NIE. The organization however failed to achieve its objectives, due to the Warsaw Uprising and Operation Tempest, which took place in the summer of 1944. Its structures were disorganized, and there was no communication with branches located east of the German-Soviet frontline. Most officers of NIE took part in the Warsaw Uprising, and after its capitulation were captured by the Wehrmacht. On November 22, 1944, General Okulicki was ordered to create a conspirational network in Eastern Borderlands, but his efforts failed. On January 16, 1945, a meeting of General Okulicki, General Fieldorf, Jan Stanislaw Jankowski and Stanislaw Jasiukowicz took place in Krakow. On March 7, however, Fieldorf was arrested by the NKVD, and sent to Siberia. On March 27, the Soviets arrested Okulicki. After these arrests, NIE was briefly commanded by Colonel Antoni Sanojca, who, with permission of General Wladyslaw Anders, dissolved it on May 7, 1945.
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
NIE also stands for:
- N B C I Automatic Commercial Exchange
- National Institute of Education
- National Institute of Electronics
- National Intelligence Estimate
- Net Interest Earnings
... and 10 more »