What does AIHA mean in Physiology?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand AIHA in the Medical field in general and in the Physiology terminology in particular.
Find a translation for AIHA in other languages:
Select another language:
What does AIHA mean?
- Autoimmune hemolytic anemia
- Autoimmune hemolytic anemia occurs when antibodies directed against the person's own red blood cells cause them to burst, leading to insufficient plasma concentration. The lifetime of the RBCs is reduced from the normal 100–120 days to just a few days in serious cases. The intracellular components of the RBCs are released into the circulating blood and into tissues, leading to some of the characteristic symptoms of this condition. The antibodies are usually directed against high-incidence antigens, therefore they also commonly act on allogenic RBCs AIHA is a relatively rare condition, affecting one to three people per 100,000 per year. The terminology used in this disease is somewhat ambiguous. Although MeSH uses the term "autoimmune hemolytic anemia", some sources prefer the term "immunohemolytic anemia" so drug reactions can be included in this category. The National Cancer Institute considers "immunohemolytic anemia", "autoimmune hemolytic anemia", and "immune complex hemolytic anemia" to all be synonyms.
Discuss this AIHA abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
AIHA also stands for:
- American Industrial Hygiene Association
- American International Health Alliance
- American Italian Historical Association
- Australian-Irish Heritage Association
- Auto-Immune Hemolytic Anemia
... see them all »