What does FMS mean in Unclassified?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand FMS in the Miscellaneous field in general and in the Unclassified terminology in particular.
Find a translation for FMS in other languages:
Select another language:
What does FMS mean?
- Federated Malay States
- The Federated Malay States was a federation of four protected states in the Malay Peninsula—Selangor, Perak, Negeri Sembilan and Pahang—established by the British government in 1895, which lasted until 1946, when they, together with the Straits Settlements and the Unfederated Malay States, formed the Malayan Union. Two years later, the Union became the Federation of Malaya and finally Malaysia in 1963 with the inclusion of Sabah, Sarawak and Singapore. The United Kingdom was responsible for foreign affairs and defence of the federation, whilst the states continued to be responsible for their domestic policies. Even so, the British Resident General would give advice on domestic issues, and the states were bound by treaty to follow that advice. The federation had Kuala Lumpur, which was then part of Selangor, as its capital. The first FMS Resident General was Sir Frank Swettenham. The federation along with the other Malay states of the peninsular and British possessions was overrun and occupied by the Japanese. After the liberation of Malaya due to the Japanese surrender, the federation was not restored. However, the federal form of government was retained as the principal model for consolidating the separate States as an independent Federation of Malaya and the Federation's later evolution into Malaysia.
Discuss this FMS abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
FMS also stands for:
- A Fast Manufacturing Systems
- Facilities Management Services
- Factory Management System
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Management Studies
... and 64 more »