What does ACAP mean in Telecom?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand ACAP in the Computing field in general and in the Telecom terminology in particular.
Find a translation for ACAP in other languages:
Select another language:
What does ACAP mean?
- Application Configuration Access Protocol
- The Application Configuration Access Protocol is a protocol for storing and synchronizing general configuration and preference data. It was originally developed so that IMAP clients can easily access address books, user options, and other data on a central server and be kept in synch across all clients. Two International ACAP Conferences were held, one in Pittsburgh, PA, USA, in 1997, and the other at Qualcomm Incorporated, San Diego, CA, USA, in February, 1998. ACAP grew to encompass several other areas, including bookmark management for web browsers -- it's effectively a roaming protocol for Internet applications. ACAP is in use by at least four clients and three servers to varying degrees, but it has never achieved the popularity of Lightweight Directory Access Protocol or SyncML. It is a deceptively simple protocol, but the combination of three key features, hierarchical data, fine-grained access control, and "contexts" or saved searches with notification, has caused serious problems for server implementors. Unlike LDAP, ACAP was designed for frequent writes, disconnected mode access, and so on. It also handles data inheritance, sometimes known as stacking, which provides easy creation of defaults.
Discuss this ACAP abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
ACAP also stands for:
- Aboriginal Cultural Awareness Program
- Academy of Clinical and Applied Psychoanalysis
- Accountable Care Accountable Patients—reflecting
- Accounting Career Awareness Program
- Accounting Careers Awareness Program
... and 31 more »