What does ESPN mean in Unclassified?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand ESPN in the Miscellaneous field in general and in the Unclassified terminology in particular.
Find a translation for ESPN in other languages:
Select another language:
What does ESPN mean?
- ESPN is an American based global cable television network focusing on sports-related programming including live and recorded event telecasts, sports talk shows, and other original programming. Its name derives from Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. It is a joint venture of The Walt Disney Company and Hearst Corporation. However, for all intents and purposes, it is operated by Disney as a sister network to ABC. Founded by Bill Rasmussen, his son Scott Rasmussen and Aetna insurance agent Ed Eagan, it launched on September 7, 1979, under the direction of Chet Simmons, the network's President and CEO. The Getty Oil Company provided funding to begin the new venture via executive Stuart Evey. John Skipper is ESPN's current president, a position he has held since January 1, 2012. ESPN's signature telecast, SportsCenter, debuted with the network and aired its 50,000th episode on September 13, 2012. ESPN broadcasts primarily from its studios in Bristol, Connecticut. The network also operates offices in Miami; New York City; Seattle; Charlotte; and Los Angeles. The Los Angeles office, from which the late-night edition of SportsCenter is now broadcast, opened at L.A. Live in early 2009.
Discuss this ESPN abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
ESPN also stands for:
- Early Starts Programming Network
- Eastern Seaboard Programming Network
- Eastern Sports Programing Network
- Eat Spoon Poop Next
- Effeminates Searching For Prominent Notoriety
... and 33 more »