What does FPD mean in Electronics?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand FPD in the Academic & Science field in general and in the Electronics terminology in particular.
Find a translation for FPD in other languages:
Select another language:
What does FPD mean?
- Flat panel display
- Flat panel displays encompass a growing number of electronic visual display technologies. They are far lighter and thinner than traditional television sets and video displays that use cathode ray tubes, and are usually less than 10 centimetres thick. Flat panel displays can be divided into two general display technology categories: volatile and static. The first engineering proposal for a flat screen TV was by General Electric as a result of its work on radar monitors. Their publication of their findings gave all the basics of future flat screen TVs and monitors. But GE did not continue with the R&D required and never built a working flat screen at that time. The first-ever flat panel display was invented in 1964 at the University of Illinois. The first-ever active-matrix addressed display was made by T Peter Brody's Thin-Film Devices department at Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1968. In many applications, specifically modern portable devices such as laptops, mobile phones, digital cameras, camcorders, point-and-shoot cameras, and pocket video cameras, any display disadvantages are made up for by portability advantages.
Discuss this FPD abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
FPD also stands for:
- Farrier Product Distribution
- Federación Popular Democrática
- Federal Public Defender
- Field Programmable Device
- Films and Publications Department
... and 15 more »