What does EDI mean in Ocean Science?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand EDI in the Academic & Science field in general and in the Ocean Science terminology in particular.
Find a translation for EDI in other languages:
Select another language:
What does EDI mean?
- Electronic data interchange
- Electronic data interchange is a method for transferring data between different computer systems or computer networks. It is commonly used by big companies for e-commerce purposes, such as sending orders to warehouses or tracking their order. It is more than mere e-mail; for instance, organizations might replace bills of lading and even cheques with appropriate EDI messages. It also refers specifically to a family of standards. In 1996, the National Institute of Standards and Technology defined electronic data interchange as "the computer-to-computer interchange of strictly formatted messages that represent documents other than monetary instruments. EDI implies a sequence of messages between two parties, either of whom may serve as originator or recipient. The formatted data representing the documents may be transmitted from originator to recipient via telecommunications or physically transported on electronic storage media." It distinguishes mere electronic communication or data exchange, specifying that "in EDI, the usual processing of received messages is by computer only. Human intervention in the processing of a received message is typically intended only for error conditions, for quality review, and for special situations. For example, the transmission of binary or textual data is not EDI as defined here unless the data are treated as one or more data elements of an EDI message and are not normally intended for human interpretation as part of online data processing."
Discuss this EDI abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
EDI also stands for:
- A Electronic Data Input
- Early Development Instrument
- Eating Disorder Inventory
- Eating Disorders International
- Economic Developers For Israel
... and 27 more »