What does ARQ mean in Networking?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand ARQ in the Computing field in general and in the Networking terminology in particular.
Find a translation for ARQ in other languages:
Select another language:
What does ARQ mean?
- Automatic repeat request
- Automatic Repeat reQuest, also known as Automatic Repeat Query, is an error-control method for data transmission that uses acknowledgements and timeouts to achieve reliable data transmission over an unreliable service. If the sender does not receive an acknowledgment before the timeout, it usually re-transmits the frame/packet until the sender receives an acknowledgment or exceeds a predefined number of re-transmissions. The types of ARQ protocols include Stop-and-wait ARQ Go-Back-N ARQ Selective Repeat ARQ All three protocols usually use some form of sliding window protocol to tell the transmitter to determine which packets need to be retransmitted. These protocols reside in the Data Link or Transport Layers of the OSI model. A number of patents exist for the use of ARQ in live video contribution environments. In these high throughput environments negative acknowledgements are used to drive down overheads.
Discuss this ARQ abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
ARQ also stands for:
- Acquisition Review Quarterly
- Architectural Research Quarterly
- Authentication Request
- Automated Response to Query
- Automatic Receiver Quieting
... and 2 more »