What does ESSR mean in Unclassified?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand ESSR in the Miscellaneous field in general and in the Unclassified terminology in particular.
Find a translation for ESSR in other languages:
Select another language:
What does ESSR mean?
- Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic
- The Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic, often abbreviated as Estonian SSR or ESSR, was a republic of the Soviet Union, administered by and a subordinate of the Government of the Soviet Union. The ESSR was initially established on the territory of the Republic of Estonia on July 21, 1940, following the invasion of Soviet troops on June 17, 1940 and the installation of a puppet government backed by the Soviet Union, which declared Estonia a Soviet state. The Estonian SSR was subsequently incorporated into the USSR on August 9, 1940. This territory was also occupied by Nazi Germany from 1941 to 1944. Most countries did not recognise the incorporation of Estonia de jure and only recognised its Soviet government de facto or not at all. A number of these countries continued to recognize Estonian diplomats and consuls who still functioned in the name of their former governments. This policy of non-recognition gave rise to the principle of legal continuity, which held that de jure, Estonia remained an independent state under illegal occupation throughout the period 1940–91.
Discuss this ESSR abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
ESSR also stands for:
- EastSide Spring Ride
- Edinburgh South Suburban Railway
- Erseuropean Society For Surgical Research
- Essar Energy
- European Society For Surgical Research
... and 3 more »