What does ARCS mean in Unclassified?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand ARCS in the Miscellaneous field in general and in the Unclassified terminology in particular.
Find a translation for ARCS in other languages:
Select another language:
What does ARCS mean?
- ARCS is a firmware bootloader used in most computers produced by SGI since the beginning of the 1990s. The ARCS system is loosely compliant with the Advanced RISC Computing standard, promulgated by the Advanced Computing Environment consortium in the early 1990s. In another sense, the ARC standard is based on SGI's ARCS, which was used as a basis for generating the ARC standard itself, although ARC calls for a little-endian system while ARCS system is big-endian on all MIPS-based systems. Despite various inconsistencies between the two, both SGI's ARCS implementations and the ARC standard share many commonalities. Most of the computers which use the ARCS firmware are based on the MIPS line of microprocessors. But, the SGI Visual Workstation series, which is based on the Intel Pentium III, also uses ARCS. The Visual Workstation series is the only commercially produced Intel 80386-compatible system which used an ARCS firmware, rather than the traditional PC BIOS used in most Intel 386-lineage machines. A list of product lines which use the ARCS console includes: ⁕SGI Crimson ⁕SGI Indigo
Discuss this ARCS abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
ARCS also stands for:
- Academic Research Connecting The Sciences
- Achievement Rewards for College Scientists
- Administrative Record Classification System
- Administrative Records Classification System
- Admiralty Raster Chart Service
... and 10 more »