What does NGC mean in Astronomy?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand NGC in the Academic & Science field in general and in the Astronomy terminology in particular.
Find a translation for NGC in other languages:
Select another language:
What does NGC mean?
- New General Catalogue(ProperNoun)
- : A catalogue of deep sky objects compiled in the 1880s by J. L. E. Dreyer using observations mostly from William Herschel. It contains nearly 8,000 objects, known as the NGC objects. Objects in the catalogue are numbered, and the letters NGC are prepended to these numbers, as in NGC 224 (the Andromeda Galaxy) or NGC 6205 (the globular cluster in Hercules).
Discuss this NGC abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
NGC also stands for:
- National Garden Clubs
- National Geographic Channel
- National Gift Card
- National Guideline Clearinghouse
- National Guideline Clearinghouse (DHHS)
... and 26 more »