What does ECSC mean in Non-Profit Organizations?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand ECSC in the Community field in general and in the Non-Profit Organizations terminology in particular.
Find a translation for ECSC in other languages:
Select another language:
What does ECSC mean?
- European Coal and Steel Community
- The European Coal and Steel Community was an international organisation serving to unify European countries after the Second World War. It was formally established by the Treaty of Paris, which was signed by Belgium, France, West Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Luxembourg. The ECSC was the first international organisation to be based on the principles of supranationalism, and would ultimately lead the way to the founding of the European Union. The ECSC was first proposed by French foreign minister Robert Schuman on 9 May 1950 as a way to prevent further war between France and Germany. He declared his aim was to "make war not only unthinkable but materially impossible" which was to be achieved by regional integration, of which the ECSC was the first step. The Treaty would create a common market for coal and steel among its member states which served to neutralise competition between European nations over natural resources, particularly in the Ruhr. The ECSC was run by four institutions: a High Authority composed of independent appointees, a Common Assembly composed of national parliamentarians, a Special Council composed of nation ministers, and a Court of Justice. These would ultimately form the blueprint for today's European Commission, European Parliament, the Council of the European Union and the European Court of Justice.
Discuss this ECSC abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
ECSC also stands for:
- Early Childhood Service Council
- East Coast Surfing Championships
- Eastern Colleges Science Conference
- Ecoscience Corporation
- Environmental Cooperative Science Center
... see them all »