What does LEMS mean in Medical?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand LEMS in the field in general and in the Medical terminology in particular.
Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome
Find a translation for LEMS in other languages:
Select another language:
What does LEMS mean?
- Lambert-Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome
- An autoimmune disease characterized by weakness and fatigability of proximal muscles, particularly of the pelvic girdle, lower extremities, trunk, and shoulder girdle. There is relative sparing of extraocular and bulbar muscles. CARCINOMA, SMALL CELL of the lung is a frequently associated condition, although other malignancies and autoimmune diseases may be associated. Muscular weakness results from impaired impulse transmission at the NEUROMUSCULAR JUNCTION. Presynaptic calcium channel dysfunction leads to a reduced amount of acetylcholine being released in response to stimulation of the nerve. (From Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, pp 1471)
Discuss this LEMS abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
LEMS also stands for:
- Lambert Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome
- Larchwood Emergency Medical Service
- Law Enforcement Message Switch
- Lower Extremity Monitoring Suit
... see them all »