What does SPQR mean in Latin?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand SPQR in the International field in general and in the Latin terminology in particular.
Find a translation for SPQR in other languages:
Select another language:
What does SPQR mean?
- SPQR is an initialism from a Latin phrase, Senātus Populusque Rōmānus, referring to the government of the ancient Roman Republic, and used as an official emblem of the modern day comune of Rome. It appears on coins, at the end of documents made public by inscription in stone or metal, in dedications of monuments and public works, and was emblazoned on the standards of the Roman legions. The phrase appears many hundreds of times in Roman political, legal and historical literature, including the speeches of Cicero and the Ab urbe condita libri of Titus Livius.
Discuss this SPQR abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
SPQR also stands for:
- Quiruvilca, Peru
- Schemesubject And Programme Quality Review
- Senatus Populesque Romanus (the Senate and the People of Rome)
- Senatus Populus Que Romani
- Senatus Populus Que Romanus
... and 9 more »