What does AFDC mean in US Government?
This page is about the meanings of the acronym/abbreviation/shorthand AFDC in the Governmental field in general and in the US Government terminology in particular.
Find a translation for AFDC in other languages:
Select another language:
What does AFDC mean?
- Aid to Families with Dependent Children
- Aid to Families with Dependent Children was a federal assistance program in effect from 1935 to 1996 created by the Social Security Act and administered by the United States Department of Health and Human Services that provided financial assistance to children whose families had low or no income. This program grew from a minor part of the social security system to a significant system of welfare administered by the states with federal funding. However, it was criticized for offering incentives for women to have children, and for providing disincentives for women to join the workforce. In 1996, AFDC was replaced by the more restrictive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program.
Discuss this AFDC abbreviation with the community:
Use the citation below to add this abbreviation to your bibliography:
AFDC also stands for:
- Aid to Families with Dependent Children (Title IV of the SS Act)
- Air Force Doctrine Center
- Alternative Fuels Data Center
- Alzheimers Family Day Center
- Aquaculture and Fisheries Development Centre
... and 2 more »